Lessons in Sonship
As God's Son, Jesus perfectly demonstrated for us what it means to be children of God. John 8:25-59
Jesus’ assertion that He was the Son of God incited fury in the religious leaders of His day. Yet His explanation to them so many centuries ago helps us understand how to act like God’s children today:
• He spoke His Father’s words to the world (John 8:26). And we were given the same assignment: “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation” (Mark 16:15).
• Christ did nothing on His own initiative (John 8:28). Sonship requires surrender to the Father’s authority.
•The Son spoke as the Father taught Him (John 8:28). We should rely on the truth of God’s Word, not our own wisdom.
• Jesus did what pleased the Father (John 8:29). God’s children no longer live for their own pleasures but seek the joy of obeying their heavenly Father.
• Christ pursued the Father’s glory, not His own (John 8:49-50; John 8:54). In the same way, we’re to humble ourselves and exalt the Lord in our thoughts and behavior.
• He knew His Father (John 8:55). Like Christ, believers have the same privilege of intimacy with God.
We are God’s children only because of the faithful obedience of His Son. Christ opened the door for our adoption, showered us with blessings, and demonstrated how we are to walk in faith. Now we are to follow His example.
Credit to InTouch Ministries